Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fun, Friends, Family, and Faith

If there’s anyone out there who actually enjoys reading my rambling :) and has been disappointed by my lack of writing in the past little while, I apologize.  Blogging kind of took a back seat while I was dealing with my ear infections (yes, both ears did get infected, darn it), feeling rotten and exhausted, and being ridiculously busy.  Ah well.  But this weekend was pretty spectacular, so I figured I should share some of the fun things that went on.

This past Friday, I went to work at noon, where I was told that my boss had made another change in the staffing placement.  I got a little concerned, thinking, “Where is she going to put me now?”  But then she told me that I will be working in the infant room!  Hooray!  I think the infant room is one of my favorite places to be in a daycare.  I love babies!  I had always wished last summer that I could be in the infant room, and I had always looked forward to being in the infant room whenever my substituting took me there this past month.  Now I get to work there all the time!  I’m trying not to let myself get too excited, just in case my boss changes her mind again, but for now I’m super happy!  So hanging out with the babies made the work day go by fairly quickly.  Then I got home in time to supervise my sister’s birthday party.  Part of the party was a homework-burning bonfire in our back yard, and my parents (who had a sealing session at the temple that evening) weren’t going to be there, so they wanted me to make sure things didn’t get out of hand.  Of course, I joked around with my sister and her friends that maybe it hadn’t been a good idea for my parents to put one of the world’s biggest pyros in charge.  :)  Yes, I was exaggerating, but still, I do love playing with fire.  *sadistic grin*  I managed to endear myself a bit to my sister’s friends by making a complete fool of myself---chasing escaped papers down, throwing stuff on the fire, and stoking the fire with a big stick.  :)  I was having so much fun with them that I ended up hanging out with them for most of the party.  What does it say about me if I have so much fun with a bunch of sixteen-year-olds?  Haha, well, as one of my friends put it, perhaps I’m destined to be a Young Women leader.  :)

On Saturday I mowed two lawns, neither of which was my own family’s, and got paid way more per hour than I get paid at the daycare!  Too bad I couldn’t get enough lawn mowing jobs to work forty hours a week (not to mention that I’m pretty sure I would die after a week of doing that anyway).  :)  After that, I helped my mom get the house cleaned up and ready for my cousin’s baby shower, which my mom was hosting.  It was super fun to see aunts, cousins, and friends.  I had a blast playing with the children of one of my cousins: a four-year-old daughter and eight-month-old son.  My favorite part was showing Lucy to the kids.  The eight-month-old just wanted to pull on her fur :), but the four-year-old loved petting her and hearing her purr.  It’s so cute to see little kids’ fascination over simple things.  When the shower was over, I went on a great dinner-and-movie date---a great end to a great day.

Sunday was also a wonderful day.  I started out with my usual long commute to Provo for church.  I had to laugh when the presidency started Relief Society (our ward has Priesthood and Relief Society first) by requesting that the sisters try to get to church on time.  I thought, "No one can tell me that it's hard to get to church on time!"  :)  All three meetings were wonderful, and I felt the Spirit very strongly.  This was the last Sunday that I would be substituting as the ward chorister, which was both sad and happy for me.  I was sad because I actually love being the chorister, but I was happy that they called a new chorister; I didn't want to be the permanent chorister unless I was called and set apart to do so.  Speaking of choristing (yes, I have decided that that is a word :)), after church was choir practice, which went well considering half of our regulars were missing.  I think they must have just missed the memo that it was actually happening.  I hope we get good numbers next week, especially sopranos (I actually have to recruit sopranos?  That never happens!), because that will be our last practice before we perform!  Yikes!  The rest of the day was spent in pleasurable pursuits with my wonderful Provo friends.  I hung out with my former roommate and future roommates, jammed it up with a musical friend of mine, visited a dear friend who just recently moved out of the ward, and generally had a wonderful time.  I'm looking forward to actually living in Provo again so I can see those friends more often and for longer.  For now, I'm just enjoying this time in my life: the chance to have fun both at home and in Provo, to see friends in Provo (as well as here), to spend time with my family here, and to strengthen my faith "at all times and in all things and in all places."


  1. rellybellybuttonJune 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM

    Aw, well thanks Colton! :)

  2. I love that this is secretly only half of the story. :) I liked the texted version a bit better...more dramatic. ;)

  3. rellybellybuttonJune 8, 2011 at 3:46 PM

    Well, ANYONE can read my blog. You're the only one who can read texts from me; and if that's not true, you'd better come clean with me now, my dear. ;)

  4. It's true. Unless you wanted me to start forwarding it to the rest of my contacts, in which case, I will start immediately! ;)