Friday, May 27, 2011

Thank Goodness it's Friday

Last night I purposely went to bed early after setting my alarm for my siblings' traditional Friday morning trip to the temple.  I had hoped that the extra time in bed would help me get a good night's rest so I could be awake and alert the next morning.  Ha!  So much for best laid plans.

I woke up at 3:30 this morning feeling worse than I've felt in quite some time.  I was coughing up a storm, my nose was so stuffed up I didn't have a prayer of breathing through it, I felt totally rotten, and my head ached with that stuffy pain that's typical during a bought of the common cold.  After taking cough medicine and remedying some of the stuffiness, I thought I might be able to still go to the temple.  However, I also realized I had a ten-hour shift ahead of me at the daycare.  There would have been no chance for me to take a little nap before getting to work at 7:30, and trust me, I needed all the sleep and strength I could get to make it through a ten-hour day of two-year-old terror.  So I decided to sleep in.  This is the second time in a row that I have allowed illness to prevent me from going to the temple.  Trust me when I say that the only thing that will stop me from going to the temple next Friday will be the risk that some illness could be passed on to the other people at the temple.  Otherwise, I am going no matter how tired or rotten I feel!

Okay, so maybe that's not a realistic promise, but I can tell that my spirit has missed my normal temple trips these past two weeks.  I just don't want to make missing the temple a habit.  The problem is that my physical misery did not stop when I got up to get ready for work this morning.  I made a point to stock up on cough medicine and cough drops, which I'm sure saved me from going home sick, even though it didn't completely erase everything.  The first part of the day was fun, but by early afternoon I was definitely starting to flag.  Worse still, I started to develop an earache around 4:00!  Oh please don't be an ear infection!  Trust me when I say that I've already had enough ear troubles for three lifetimes!  By the end of the day, the earache was worse, the stuffiness was back, and I started getting a stomachache, which I'm certain was more a side effect of all the other misery than an additional illness (knock on wood).

Needless to say, I was totally relieved to finally go home, and I have rarely been more grateful for a weekend (and a long one, at that) than I am at this moment.  Time to rest this tired body of mine and try to get over this cold (which is the second I've had in two weeks) and hope that I don't get another one any time soon.  Especially since I just realized I've written four paragraphs about being sick, and I'm pretty sure anyone who actually reads my blog will be bored to death if I get sick again.  Good thing readers don't have to read everything I write if they don't want to.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment